ASCFG Editor Application
Request for Proposals
Thank you for your interest in this position! Please note that the application window has closed and we are no longer accepting submissions.
The Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers, Inc. (ASCFG) is seeking proposals for a freelance magazine editor for our quarterly publication. The Cut Flower Quarterly is the flagship publication of the ASCFG, and a vital element of an expanding collection of learning experiences such as webinars and online workshops, as well as in-person farm tours, and trade shows. It is dedicated to informing growers about the production, postharvest care, and marketing of cut flowers, as well as effective business management.
The duties of the editor have traditionally been handled by the Executive Director. Now, those tasks are being removed from the Executive Director role to be outsourced to a qualified independent contractor.
• Seamless transition of the editor tasks to maximize time efficiencies while maintaining the quality of the publication.
• Develop an outsourcing relationship to expand as the needs of the Association expand or change.
• Demonstrate sound financial decisions without sacrificing quality.
Scope of Work
• Oversee all aspects of the magazine’s production, from content development to print and digital publication and distribution.
• Create content topics based on member feedback, data, input from the ASCFG Education Director, and other industry insights.
• Gather content (text, photos, and graphics) from the ASCFG Board of Directors, ASCFG members, academic researchers, freelance writers, and industry sources. Content should be based on member feedback and data.
• Create original content as needed.
• Provide editorial direction to magazine contributors as needed.
• Review submissions, and edit for clarity, spelling, and correct sentence structure, ensuring accuracy and conciseness.
• Work with graphic designer on layout, photo, advertisement, and graphics placement; edit drafts as they are created, and approve final draft
• Manage the budget for each issue, ensuring that all costs are within allocated limits.
• Negotiate with vendors and service providers to secure the best rates for the magazine.
• Develop relationships with industry experts and thought leaders to contribute high-quality content.
• Stay up to date on trends in the cut flower industry to ensure that the content is relevant and engaging
• With the Operations Director, manage the printing and distribution process for each issue.
• Ensure that deadlines are met.
• Promote the magazine through marketing and public relations effort.
• Analyze reader feedback to identify areas for improvement in future issue
• This position reports to the ASCFG Executive Director.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
• Experience working with content management systems, e.g. WordPress, etc.
• Proofreading experience.
• A keen eye for detail and appreciation of appealing and effective design.
• Social media or content marketing experience.
• Copywriting experience.
• Demonstrable experience in producing relevant content to target audiences
• Strong writing, editing and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Experience with non-profit organizations, preferably horticultural or agricultural.
• Hold at least a bachelor’s degree in communications/journalism or related industry (essential). Experience in horticulture or agriculture desirable
Those interested in submitting a proposal should include a letter of interest, writing/editing samples, letters of recommendation, and fee structure. We would be most interested in your approach to the responsibilities of these tasks and knowing your thoughts on how to make this relationship successful.
Submit the application below by May 1, 2023.
Questions? [email protected]