Dave Dowling Scholarship
If you’re considering a career in cut flowers, consider the ASCFG.
The ASCFG is dedicated to advancing the domestic cut flower industry by encouraging young people to consider cut flower production as a career. To foster this goal, every year the ASCFG will award $1,000 each to two students interested in becoming cut flower growers. Successful applicants will receive one-year ASCFG memberships and accompanying benefits.
The program is open to students working toward a two- or four-year degree, or a graduate degree, in horticulture or floriculture. Applicants must have at least one full year of studies remaining before finishing the degree. Previous applicants not awarded a scholarship may apply again if they still meet all requirements. Part-time students may be considered if they have taken at least 9 credits per year for at least one year, are planning to enroll in at least 9 credits for the coming year, and are enrolled in a program leading to a horticulture or floriculture degree.
- Have worked
- Be currently working
- Plan to work after graduation in a commercial cut flower production operation
- Graduate students should be working on a cut-flower related topic, and plan to continue to support the cut flower industry in some capacity after graduation.
Application Deadline February 1, 2022
Meet Dave Dowling.
Dave Dowling owned a successful cut flower farm in Maryland for twenty years. He placed great emphasis on introducing young people to horticulture through employment on his farm, bringing them to ASCFG meetings, and mentoring them as they moved into their own cut flower careers. Dave is responsible for the success of many new growers across the country. He served for several years on the ASCFG Board of Directors, as Regional Director and as President, and is considered an encyclopedia of cut flower knowledge. His generosity and enthusiasm for sharing are unparalleled.
Dave continues to work in the cut flower industry for a major supplier, supporting cut flower growers in the U.S. and Canada. He also presents an online class covering bulb and perennial crops for cut flower farmers.
He encourages students of all backgrounds and experience levels to apply for the Dave Dowling scholarship.
How to Apply.
A complete application must include the following items:
- Complete and submit the form below.
- Resume upload
- Transcripts from each school attended after high school (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- One letter of recommendation from an employer, academic advisor, instructor, or advisor of a club in which you actively participate. Recommender should send letter directly to the ASCFG at MPO Box 268, Oberlin, Ohio 44074.
- Personal statement (at least one page but not more than two pages) written by the applicant explaining the following:
1. Why the applicant is interested in cut flower production as a career.
2. The applicant’s experience in floriculture, with emphasis on commercial cut flower production.
3. The applicant’s plans to work in the commercial cut flower industry.
Dave Dowling Scholarship Application
The application process has been closed for 2022. Check back in Fall 2022 for the 2023 application.
Successful applicants will be notified in spring 2022 and the first installment of $500 will be awarded after they have registered for fall 2022 courses. The second installment of $500 will be awarded when the students register for the second semester. Recipients must send a photograph for publication in the The Cut Flower Quarterly before receiving the check.
The ASCFG Scholarship is so much more than a check and a handshake. My experiences at the 30th ASCFG Conference were exciting, inspiring, and utterly invaluable. Not only has the ASCFG aided me in completing my degree and getting a head start on my loans, it has connected me with successful and knowledgeable farmers. My confidence and enthusiasm for the next steps toward my flower farming career are thanks to this wonderful organization.”