Dave Dowling Scholarship
The ASCFG is dedicated to advancing the domestic cut flower industry by encouraging young people to consider cut flower production as a career. To foster this goal, every year the ASCFG wil award $1,000 each to two students interested in becoming cut flower growers. Successful applicants will receive one-year ASCFG memberships as well as complimentary registration to one ASCFG event.
The program is open to students working toward a two – or – four-year degree, or a graduate degree, in horticulture or floriculture. Applicants must have at least one full year of studies remaining before finishing the degree. Previous applicants not awarded a scholarship may apply again if they still meet all requirements. Part-time students may be considered if they have taken at least 9 credits per year for at least one year, are planning to enroll in at least 9 credits for the coming year, and are enrolled in a program leading to a horticulture or floriculture degree.
- Have worked
- Be currently working
- Plant to work after graduation in a commercial cut flower production operation
A complete application must include the following items:
- Application Form
- Resume upload
- Transcripts from each school attended after high school (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- One letter of recommendation from an employer, academic advisor, instructor, or advisor of a club in which you actively participate. Recommender should send letter directly to the ASCFG office.
- Statement (at least one page but not more than two pages) written by the applicant explaining the following:
- Why the applicant is interested in cut flower production as a career.
- The applicant’s experience in floriculture, with emphasis on commercial cut flower production.
- The applicant’s plans to work in the commercial cut flower industry.
Dave Dowling Scholarship Application
How to Apply
The ASCFG Scholarship is so much more than a check and a handshake. My experiences at the 30th ASCFG Conference were exciting, inspiring, and utterly invaluable. Not only has the ASCFG aided me in completing my degree and getting a head start on my loans, it has connected me with successful and knowledgeable farmers. My confidence and enthusiasm for the next steps toward my flower farming career are thanks to this wonderful organization.”